Chapel of Le Nant Robert

  • La chapelle du Nant-Robert
  • Une chaise en bois
  • Une statuette devant le tableau
  • L’autel de la chapelle
  • Son portique
  • La façade de la chapelle
  • La chapelle début XXI ème siècle
  • La chapelle à la fin du XX ème siècle
La chapelle du Nant-RobertUne chaise en boisUne statuette devant le tableauL’autel de la chapelleSon portiqueLa façade de la chapelleLa chapelle début XXI ème siècleLa chapelle à la fin du XX ème siècle
Route du Nant Robert
Vallée du Bouchet
Le Grand-Bornand
mail / message
Phone : +33 4 50 02 79 18
My request
Your Contact Details

According to Law no. 78-17, dated January 6th 1978 of the French personal data act (CNIL), concerning information technology, files and personal liberty (article 36), the holder of the right of access may demand that any information that is inexact, missing or out-of-date information or whose collection, use, communication or storage is forbidden concerning him/herself be rectified, completed, clarified, updated or deleted. To exercise this right, please use the above form.
Standing above the village of Le Grand Bornand, with panoramic views over the Aravis chain, the chapel of Le Nant Robert is well worth seeing. It was founded in 1762 and renovated on several occasions during the course of the XX century.
The chapel was founded in 1762 by the residents of Le Nant Robert. It is placed under the patronage of Saint Anne, the mother of Mary, and of Saint John the Baptist, the cousin of Jesus.

With the exception of the overhanging roof-edge just above the main entrance, added during the XX century to protect from humidity, the chapel still looks much as it was in the old days. There are two little windows on each side of the doorway. Several renovations took place during the 1950's (1955 and 1958), also in1994. The chapel interior was repainted in 2000.

The chapel has a steeple with a quadrilateral base. Hanging in the steeple is the bell, cast in the Meunier foundry in Chambéry in 1819. François Rey was the bell's godfather and Marie-Justine Rochet its godmother.

Inside the chapel the central painting, dating from the XVIII century, is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and Saint François de Sales, who was Bishop of Annecy during the XVII century. Above it is a crowned Virgin and Child, surrounded by cherubims. There is also a statue of the Virgin and Child with two columns on either side, two candelabras and two kneeling cherubs. Above is a brightly painted altar cross, probably dating back to the XVIII century.
Finally, you will notice the impressive Stations of the Cross, drawn in Indian ink. The artist is believed to have been Napoléon Thom.
All year round
  • Religious heritage :
    • Religious heritage
    • Chapel
  • Period :
    • 18th C
    • 19th C
Facilities and services
  • SITRA services :
    • Services
    • Services
    • Services
    • Services
    • Services
    • Services
To note
  • Type of SITRA offer :
    • Indoor
    • Bad weather alternative
  • Accessibility criteria for people with reduced mobility :
    • Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
    • Possibility of drop-off in front of the site
    • Even flooring with no obstacles


Chapelle du Nant Robert
Route du Nant Robert
Vallée du Bouchet
Le Grand-Bornand
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 45.941006
Longitude : 6.447969
View also
After 60 years of building work, undertaken and financed by the local community,it was consecrated in 1877. Built in the neo-gothic style of the XIX century, the architecture is typical of the golden age of the Catholic church.
The chapel of Le Bouchet, in the heart of the Bouchet valley, was founded in 1704 after a flood. It boasts a beautiful altarpiece, dating back to the XVIII century.
The Stations of the Cross pilgrimage at La Duche originated in 1888, linking the chapel of La Duche with St Bruno's oratory, the site of a miraculous spring.
The original cemetery was situated for a long time immediately around the church. In the mid-XX century, it had to be relocated so that a new village square could be built in front of the Tourist Office, the Town Hall and the church.
The cross at Le Clos du Pin is unusual for two reasons : firstly, this stone cross is the oldest of all the Le Grand Bornand crosses (dating from 1500) and secondly, and for the same reason, it has been classified since 1944 as a heritage monument.
The Town Hall is a stone building, typical of early XX century architecture. It houses all the municipal services and the meeting room for the village council.
The weekly market at the Grenette, the old grain market of Le Grand Bornand, characterizes the heart of the old town square. All sorts of concerts and events also take place here, such as concerts given by the local brass band and many local celebrations.
The inscribed border stone, at the foot of the dale of Tardevant, marks the limit between the villages of Le Grand Bornand and La Clusaz. This stone is about 1m. long and is dated 1755.
The chapel of la Duche is the oldest of Grand Bornand. Based in the end of the XVIIth century,it is reconstructed at the end of the XIXth century. Itis dedicated in particular to several agrarian saints: saint Anne, saint Grat and saint Guérin.
Founded in 1677, the chapel is nestled in the heart of the old village of Le Chinaillon. Despite major renovation work to the building in 1977, it has retained its traditional appearance.
Located in the heart of the hamlet of Les Plans, the chapel of the same name was founded in 1702 after the flooding of the Borne river. From the chapel there is a wonderful view over the Aravis mountain chain.
At the end of the Bouchet valley, just above the hamlet of Lormay, there is a stone testifying to events which took place during the French Revolution : priests refusing to swear allegiance to the Constitution were hidden by the local population.
04 50 02 78 00
During your walks, use your mobile phone to discover in an interactive way all the richness of Le Grand-Bornand.