The Cross at Le Clos du Pin

  • La croix du Clos du Pin
  • Mysterieuse inscription
  • La croix à son nouvel emplacement
  • La croix du Clos du Pin
  • La croix du Clos du Pin
La croix du Clos du PinMysterieuse inscriptionLa croix à son nouvel emplacementLa croix du Clos du PinLa croix du Clos du Pin
Vallée du Bouchet
Le Grand-Bornand
mail / message
Phone : +33 4 50 02 79 18
My request
Your Contact Details

According to Law no. 78-17, dated January 6th 1978 of the French personal data act (CNIL), concerning information technology, files and personal liberty (article 36), the holder of the right of access may demand that any information that is inexact, missing or out-of-date information or whose collection, use, communication or storage is forbidden concerning him/herself be rectified, completed, clarified, updated or deleted. To exercise this right, please use the above form.
The cross at Le Clos du Pin is unusual for two reasons : firstly, this stone cross is the oldest of all the Le Grand Bornand crosses (dating from 1500) and secondly, and for the same reason, it has been classified since 1944 as a heritage monument.
In 1500, a cross was built in the place called Le Clos du Pin, just at the entrance to the Bouchet valley. It is a Greek cross, built of stone, standing on a stone base and with square cross arms. Just where the two cross arms meet in the middle, there is a small alcove, probably intended for a statue. Beneath the alcove is a Latin text which reads : « this was made by honest ….. (unknown ?), (dated ) 1500 ».

This cross escaped being destroyed by French revolutionnaries between 1764 and 1801/02, date of the Concordat. Most of the other crosses were built within the village to commemorate missions during the XIX century and in the early XX century. It is for this reason that in 1944, the Clos du Pin cross was classified as a heritage monument (for a long time it remained the only classified site, with a 500m. protection order all around it).

The cross was moved to Lormay in 1988 during work to enlarge the road leading to the valley of Le Bouchet.
All year round
  • Religious heritage :
    • Religious heritage
    • Wayside cross
  • Period :
    • 16th C
Facilities and services
  • Parking :
    • Parking
To note
  • Type of SITRA offer :
    • Not recommended in bad weather
    • Open air
  • Accessibility criteria for people with reduced mobility :
    • Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
    • Incline >5% but reasonable
    • Possibility of drop-off in front of the site
La croix du Clos du Pin
Vallée du Bouchet
Le Grand-Bornand
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 45.942744
Longitude : 6.499554
View also
After 60 years of building work, undertaken and financed by the local community,it was consecrated in 1877. Built in the neo-gothic style of the XIX century, the architecture is typical of the golden age of the Catholic church.
The Heritage House is a traditional Grand-Bornand chalet, built in 1830, which has been renovated and furnished to make a museum. It is a listed museum since 2007.
The chapel of Le Bouchet, in the heart of the Bouchet valley, was founded in 1704 after a flood. It boasts a beautiful altarpiece, dating back to the XVIII century.
The Stations of the Cross pilgrimage at La Duche originated in 1888, linking the chapel of La Duche with St Bruno's oratory, the site of a miraculous spring.
The original cemetery was situated for a long time immediately around the church. In the mid-XX century, it had to be relocated so that a new village square could be built in front of the Tourist Office, the Town Hall and the church.
04 50 02 79 18
During your walks, use your mobile phone to discover in an interactive way all the richness of Le Grand-Bornand.
04 50 32 65 00
Length: 9 km / Departure altitude: 1450 m / Arrival altitude: 1000 m / Ascent: 30 m / Descent: 480 m Departure: Parking des Confins / Arrival: La Grand-Bornand village
04 50 02 78 00